Every evening I looked forward to my parents arrival, and sometimes I think the patients and staff did too. My parents are two people that truly don't judge and want nothing but the best for everyone on the base. It was also fun playing black jack with my dad, it sadly felt as if we were making up for missed time. I can honestly say the time I spent with my dad and mom was uplifting and added a cup of confidence and hope. I also think it might has hopefully made other patients feel just at ease and comfortable.
I really did enjoy the nightly games of Gin Rummy it allowed for the a few of to chat about the days events. But when you're in groups and restricted to a floor and area there really isn't that much to talk about, nut we did have good laughs about the interns and residents we liked to call Wonderkinds!
It was pretty amazing in how such a short time that we managed to open up to each other about or problems.
The nights were also very uplifting because I would talk to a specific nurse who would listen and give feedback. It was nice to be treated like a person and not just a patient. I think she was the most open with me because she saw a gentler side that I thought was gone along time ago. I formed a very good relationship with this nurse, and this helped enforce what the hospital chaplain stated about building your trust foundation.
The nurse would usually talk about the same topics, but she always re-enforced the value of understanding my self worth, and use this time while an inpatient to help yourself. She stated "there are too many people who continue to hide their invisible wounds and when the struggle gets tough these service members, lose hope and feel as if there is no-one who cares, or understands their problems (struggles), they become voice-less and take their life, only to become another statistic."
I really did enjoy the nightly games of Gin Rummy it allowed for the a few of to chat about the days events. But when you're in groups and restricted to a floor and area there really isn't that much to talk about, nut we did have good laughs about the interns and residents we liked to call Wonderkinds!
It was pretty amazing in how such a short time that we managed to open up to each other about or problems.
The nights were also very uplifting because I would talk to a specific nurse who would listen and give feedback. It was nice to be treated like a person and not just a patient. I think she was the most open with me because she saw a gentler side that I thought was gone along time ago. I formed a very good relationship with this nurse, and this helped enforce what the hospital chaplain stated about building your trust foundation.
The nurse would usually talk about the same topics, but she always re-enforced the value of understanding my self worth, and use this time while an inpatient to help yourself. She stated "there are too many people who continue to hide their invisible wounds and when the struggle gets tough these service members, lose hope and feel as if there is no-one who cares, or understands their problems (struggles), they become voice-less and take their life, only to become another statistic."
No comments:
Post a Comment