Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Power of Prayer

Last night after talking with my dad and my stepmother Luz, Luz had mentioned reading Psalms and began reciting of different Psalms that might interest me and help. It was when she mentioned Psalms 27 that my dad reminded me, "that was your grandmothers favourite Psalm."
I the day winded down day three of being on the Psych ward at Walter Reed I took my medicine, before I headed to my room I grabbed a Bible, the intent was to read it before I went to bed especially Psalm 27, because it was my grandmothers favorite verse. I remembered reading it to her before she went to bed while she was hospitalized and the joy/ease it brought her as she settled for the night. But this also reminded me about the Return of the Jedi as Luke is tucking Yoda to bed.
As I tossed and turned through the night, I couldn't get to sleep my mind was going 1000 miles a minute and I couldn't focus on one thing. I looked off the side of my bed and on the floor next to the bed was my journal and the Bible on top of it. I reached down and opened the Bible and turned to Psalm 27, when I was done, I re-read, and re-re-read and then I started to recite the first four verses. Finally, I found something to focus on to act as a mind speed bump to slow down my mind enough so I could hopefully fall asleep.
I woke up taking a deep gasp of air as if someone had blew air into my mouth. I woke up confused and freaked out, I went to the bathroom and ran water over my face. As I walked back to the bed I remembered what SFC Williams stated about the power of prayer. \
Since that night I have continued to rinse and repeat the reciting of Psalm 27, the Lords Prayer, and the first prayer I learned growing up. It has become my routine, something that I find necessary to ensure that I fall sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment