This poem along with a series of other poems and stories were composed while under military psych treatment for the third, and my third suicide attempt, time in less than five months. I started with Prisoner of War Inside My Head because for the longest time there was a battle inside my head, and I was still stuck in Iraq January 2, 2004. I blamed myself for the death of Luke Frist and the injury of Chris Leverkuhn.
Our logistics support convoy was hit by an IED and small arms fire from the enemy. The convoy consisted of Dan and myself in the lead fuel truck, Dustin and the Dave "Captain" in the second fuel truck, Luke and Chris in the third fuel truck, Brandon and The Godfather in the fourth fuel truck. Why I kept myself stuck in this event, this moment was because Dan and myself were supposed to had been the third truck in the convoy. Luke wasn't suppose to die, I had made a promise to his parents that I would bring him back safe and sound. A promise I did not keep and an event I internalized for over ten years as my fault.
This poem discusses the time spent in Iraq:
"Do you smell that smell..."
Discusses the convoy being attacked:
"Can you hear that boom..."
And ultimately Luke passing away:
"A family is without a brother..."
The stanzas, bridge, chorus discuss the internal fight, and what I've done to stop the battle and how it didn't work and remained a prisoner of war inside my head.
Our logistics support convoy was hit by an IED and small arms fire from the enemy. The convoy consisted of Dan and myself in the lead fuel truck, Dustin and the Dave "Captain" in the second fuel truck, Luke and Chris in the third fuel truck, Brandon and The Godfather in the fourth fuel truck. Why I kept myself stuck in this event, this moment was because Dan and myself were supposed to had been the third truck in the convoy. Luke wasn't suppose to die, I had made a promise to his parents that I would bring him back safe and sound. A promise I did not keep and an event I internalized for over ten years as my fault.
This poem discusses the time spent in Iraq:
"Do you smell that smell..."
Discusses the convoy being attacked:
"Can you hear that boom..."
And ultimately Luke passing away:
"A family is without a brother..."
The stanzas, bridge, chorus discuss the internal fight, and what I've done to stop the battle and how it didn't work and remained a prisoner of war inside my head.
No comments:
Post a Comment